Saturday, November 7, 2009

DAMNATION...fragment for Part V ('05)

Did film a few bits for this, but didn't finish.


DAMNATION
Part V: Theatre of Illusions





Act 1: TO HELL WE GO, DR. FAUSTUS or FAUST IN HELL

Margaret hovers over the coffin, containing Faust.

FAUST
In affliction, timeless, toneless,
And in unimagined loneness,
Nothing left to fear or brave,
Erebus’ waters round me lave.
Oh bitter waters, had you loved me,
Into your bosom downward sinking,
I might have died, oblivion drinking,
But out, alas, you hated me!
You recked not of the balm you gave me
Because your flaming flood did lave me,
Nor how it cooled my agony
When, torn away from all around me,
I felt that something did surround me,
And thought that something still loved me.
Befooled, befooled, alas untrue!
You cruel waves, you hate me too.
Could I but one sole creature find,
Neither compassion nor love to give,
But to suffer me near it, that I may live,
I, the most wretched of mankind!

… She then leaves the room.
Enter 3 friends, cautiously. When they see the coast is clear, they grab the
coffin and drag it out.

Faust in a straitjacket, looking about to burst. He starts babbling gibberish,
becoming more and more agitated. On a couch sits Meph passively watching. When
Faust stops for a moment,

MEPH
You do go on, don’t you?

FAUST
(glaring at him)
Ich bin nichts! Ich bin nichts!

MEPH
Na und?

The television flickers. On it comes Faust’s Devil, laughing.

DEVIL


The screen changes to show the video shot with Johanna:


Entering the 5-Point.

Faust and Johanna sit across from each other, talking.

JOHANNA
I’m feeling stressed, ‘cause I’m not used to not being monogamous.

FAUST
So are you dating?

JOHANNA
That’s kind of complicated. I have some friends who are attracted
to me and I’m attracted to them. There’s one who’s being celibate for another
3 months, till his divorce.

FAUST
I don’t want to stress you more, but I am attracted to you.

JOHANNA
I’m not a good person to be attracted to.

FAUST
I’m not sorry for it. You’ve inspired me.

JOHANNA
I kind of stopped hanging out with you, because I was becoming
attracted to you, but I was in a relationship.

FAUST
That’s why I never mentioned it before.

JOHANNA
But the age difference bothers me.

FAUST
It would be an experience. I have been with older women.

The image fades.

The letter:



.”

The Devil on screen.

DEVIL
Sucker! She really played you, dumb ass! Haven’t you figured out yet, “Nice
guys finish last” ‘cause pricks get all the chicks!







Act 2: DEATH DREAMS OF DR. FAUSTUS or THE DEATH OF FAUST


C.U. of the chorus.

CHORUS
There was, or is, this man whom we call Faust
Into deepest despair he became doused
From which he could not by good friends be roused
Even with a good shaking

C.U. of the Sleeping God.

CHORUS
Within him, as in all, a God asleep
A loss of potential that makes him weep
The shadows that haunt him he should not keep
For his soul is a quaking

Zoom out to reveal Fear the Devil beside the S.G.

CHORUS
And, too, that Devil whose real name is Fear
Is constantly whispering in his ear
So as to continuously keep steer
The Sleeping God from waking

Using hubris to drive to distraction
Reminding him of ev’ry infraction
Gib-jabbering without relaxation
Which keeps him on mistaking

Pan to screen, on which play out various scenes from the past.

CHORUS
His failures always play out in his mind
Ridiculous old movies of a kind
Searching for the alternatives to find
The memories are raking

How easily he can lift the veil
If only he accepted without fail
Instead, against the heavens does he rail
His life mis’rable making

He circumnavigates this endless loop
Of his Devil be he the supreme dupe
His God never be able to recoup
From his own mind’s forsaking

The apex of his True Self justly knows
All this absolute nonsense really blows
But not stopping it, on and on he goes
Trusting the liar’s faking

Far too often he fails this or that test
On his interminable hero’s quest
If only he would truly do his best
He could mend his heart’s aching

But he insistently breaks his own heart
Pretending it’s supposed to feed his art
Playing over and over silly part
From life’s pleasure’s not taking

He’s gone and thrown himself into a hole
Letting himself be cast into a role
Which cannot, and does not, fulfill his soul
That so much needs a slaking

As with all he is the one who holds the key
If he would now open his eyes to see
He could find the true meaning of To Be
Instead of a half baking





ANNOUNCER
And now, ladies and gentlemen, for the fight of the ages.

Title card: “HEAD VS. HEART”

A boxing ring. Pan to puppet-Faust.

ANNOUNCER
In this corner, representing the Head, is the intellect.

Fast pan to puppet-Pierrot.

ANNOUNCER
And in this corner, representing the Heart, is the emotions.
They’re here to do battle over the question of love.

The ring. Faust and Pierrot approach each other. The bell rings. Pierrot starts
dancing about, punching towards Faust, who puts his hands up in a reasoning
manner.

ANNOUNCER
And so the battle begins. The Heart is all raring to go, but
the Head is trying to reason with him.

Pierrot moves in and punches Faust, knocking him back against the ropes.

ANNOUNCER
Oh, Heart is not being reasonable, but comes out
swinging.

Faust gets up, still trying to be reasonable. Pierrot still dances about,
jabbing the air.

ANNOUNCER
Head is still trying to reason with Heart. He’s definitely
got his work cut out for him.

Pierrot moves in, punching Faust in the stomach, Faust bends over, and Pierrot
punches him in the head, and Faust falls to the floor.

ANNOUNCER
Ooh, a one-two punch, knocking Head on his ass.

Faust gets up, leans against the ropes.

ANNOUNCER
Head is contemplating his next move.

Pierrot jumps in, punches Faust to the floor.

ANNOUNCER
Ow! He should’ve seen that coming.

Pierrot pounces on Faust, picking him up and slamming him against the floor.

ANNOUNCER
Oh, no, Heart is slaughtering Head.

Pierrot throws Faust out of the ring.

ANNOUNCER
I think it’s all over, ladies and gentlemen. Head
never stood a chance. Heart will always have
it’s way.


HS. Faust

FAUST
And now for something completely different…


Title card: “THE ADVENTURES OF [NIMROD] WOLF AND [SEAMUS] COYOTE”

No comments:

Post a Comment